PowerVM LPM allows for the movement of an active or inactive partition from one system to another with no application downtime.
- Power6 or newer
- PowerVM enterprise edition.
- If both Source and destination systems managed with same HMC . In this case HMC must be at version 7 release 3.2 or later.
- If both source and destination systems connected to separate HMC
- Both HMC’s connected to same network.
- Both HMC’s must be at version 7, release 3.4
- A SSH connection must be set correctly between the 2 HMCs
- Systems have a VIO installed with version 126.96.36.199 or later
- Power6 based systems must have a firmware level of 01Ex320 or later.
- The systems must have the same logical memory block size. This can be checked through ASMI.
- At least one of the source and one of the destination VIO servers are set as Mover service partition.
- Both VIO servers should have their clocks synchronized.
- The amount of memory available on the destination system is greater than or equal to the amount of memory used by the mobile partition of the source system.
- If mobile partition uses dedicated processors, the destination system must have at least this number of available processors.
- If the mobile partition is assigned to a shared processor pool, the destination system must have enough spare entitlement to allocate it to the mobile partition in the destination shared processor pool.
- The destination system must have at least one vio server that has access to all the network and storage resources used by the migrating partition.
- The destination system must have a virtual switch configured with same name as the source system.
- IO resources must be virtual. Virtual SCSI devices must be backed by SAN volumes.
- Systems using IVE cannot be migrated. The migration partition can use only virtual Ethernet
- The partition is not designated as a redundant error path reporting partition.
- The partition is not part of an LPAR workload group
- The partition has a unique name.
- The additional virtual adapter slots for this partition do not appear as required in the partition profile.
- The OS must be at AIX 5.3 TL 7 or later
- The partition doesn’t use Barrier synchronization register. Partition does not use huge pages.
- If source system configured with dual VIO then you need 2 or more VIO’s on the destination system
LPM Validation process:-
- Active partition migration capability and compatibility check
- RMC Check
- Partition Readiness
- System resource availability
- Virtual adapter mapping
- OS and application readiness check
Use high speed Ethernet link between systems. A minimum of 1 GBPS link is preferable.
Migration Validation: - This process verifies that the migration of a given partition on one server to another specified server meets all the compatibility requirements. Select Partition àoperations àMobilityà Validate à Fill remote HMC, user, destination server and click validate. Once successful validation select Migrate.
Through Command line:- migrlpar –o m –m “ Source” –t “Destination” –id “partition id” –redundantvios 1 –mpio 1